Monday, June 2, 2008

Time

You know I think time is the most valuable asset we have in our lives. Time to love, time to play, time to just be with people, and time to ourselves. I've been missing the last one a bit and as apparent through my last post, I think I need some. Right now Jason and Elden are sleeping so I have a bit. Part of my problem is that I feel there are so many obligations with my time. Must do this, must go there. I've always felt that if I don't accomplish something I am not using my time wisely.

Maybe a bit of doing nothing of importance for ourselves is also necessary. I think I will give it a try soon. Of course, I will probably have an agenda for my "me time" and I am sure there will be a time limit, so it kind of puts a cramp on it, but a little freedom is better than none. I probably can't just go cold turkey and not have some kind of mental agenda for myself. It just wouldn't be me.

Anyway, what made me think of this was the freaking waste of time that I spent at the auto body shop and at the rental car place today. We are taught to be polite. However, how polite is it for companies to rob people of their time by trying to push you into buying more of their product than you want. Even if you say no to the folks at the car rental place, they still try to upsell you on cars that they don't even have on their lot!! Then its the insurance on the car, and refilling the gas tank. I figure I spend almost a half an hour at the rental places just telling them no thanks. It makes me want to walk in and just say "look, I want the cheap car that the insurance company is paying for, I will fill it up with gas myself, I do not want your $17 a day coverage. Give me the car you have clean and which meets the criteria and lets get on with it!"

But of course, I say "no thank you". Its pretty much the same with your credit card companies who call at your house trying to get you to get magazine subscriptions or their credit protection. Or they make you call 800 #s to activate your new credit card, but before it activates you have to listen to 5 minutes worth of commercial for some product or service they want to sell you.

Ok, sorry I am ranting, but I am just amazed how these companies are stealing our time and expect us to be polite and just take it while they push and push and push more of their garbage on us.

So anyway, I am done ranting and that had absolutely nothing to do with Elden or our family really. I apologize if I wasted your time. I can't give it back to you and in no way was it my intention to steal it from you in the first place.

So here are a couple of cute pictures of Elden playing with his water table in the backyard, I hope that atones for some of my bitching. I promise to get back on track here!

elden and water table


Elden and watering can


Elden and waterwheel

No comments: